Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Hunt for a MAYA

I grew up around nannies. Of course, there's always that one nanny who saw you grow up until you got married and they were the first ones who cried when you walked down the aisle. Yes, I had a nanny like that. So, it came naturally for me to get a nanny as well when Damien was born. It took us awhile...like 6 months!

I consider it as such a lucky break that we finally found Yaya Wilma. But mind you, she was a replacement of a replacement from the agency. Hehehe, let me tell you the whole story.

It was around November when Laurence and I were desperate to get a nanny since there were a lot of things to do around the house and multi-tasking made it more of a challenge. I'm the type who drops everything for Damien. So I don't care how tall the mountains and piles of laundry there is...as long as I give him what he wants, which is basically me. Being that Laurence was still assigned in Malita, he came home on Saturday evenings and would go back on Monday mornings...not exactly enough time for family and he's squeezing in chores for us as well.

The nanny that Laurence got was a newbie...but I was willing to take it since I just needed her to do the chores for Damien like cleaning the room, doing the laundry and watching over him when I'm having a meal downstairs. But alas, she only lasted for about a month and a half since it really just wasn't working for us. I was desperate since Damien is fully cloth diapering and we need to maintain the laundry chores. I called an agency and they sent me a resume of an applicant...all right, let's give her a try.

This nanny was okay. Really, she was. But she carried a whole lot of emotional baggage and easily loses focus. She also can't seem to calm Damien down when she carries him. And as soon as I take Damien from her, she excuses herself for the rest of the day since she needs to rest her arms coz Damien's already heavy...umm, I don't think she'll last given that Damien's getting heavier by the day! Yup, she barely lasted a month. The agency sent in a replacement.

I already had a different hunch with the replacement since she said in her resume that she prefers to be an all-around helper. I called up the agency and asked them to verify and they told me that she was willing to try becoming a nanny because she was already desperate for a job, the owner of the agency was nice enough to explain to me anyway so I agreed for the trial. However, this nanny didn't want to wear the uniform that I would require when we go out...and she didn't want to accompany us when we go out! Hmmm, this isn't gonna work...I don't think she understood what it took to become a nanny. The agency sent in another replacement.

Then came Yaya Wilma. Her resume was okay. Her background check was all right as well. Widow, mother of 3 boys...I think she can handle Damien well. And true to that, she has handled Damien very well. I appreciate that she gets Damien from our room when he's already giggling and laughing around at around 6:30am, which means that Laurence and I can steal more minutes to doze off. She also makes sure that Damien's diapers are changed every two hours. She's also in charge of the laundry as well as playing with him when I'm out for errands or doing my blog...hehehe! What I appreciate from her the most is that...she prioritizes my Damien above all else especially with meals and making sure that he's fresh and clean.

Damien's reaction after his MMR vaccine. Yaya Wilma was beside him the whole time.


If you ask any mom who's in dire need of a nanny, it's been a challenge these days. With the Kasambahay Law in place as well as demands from the nannies themselves...moms like us just want the nanny that Maya is on the hit soap (yes, I watch that with Yaya Wilma and Damien!). But there will always come a time that will make me understand what things happen, well...it takes a little more time to realize that but it comes.

The 5 solid months that I took care of Damien all by myself also taught me that I am stronger than I thought I was. And this time that Damien's very comfortable with Yaya Wilma, I'm basically a little more free to do things that I want to do.

The hunt for Maya took a little longer than expected but the payback has been great...

Me, Damien and Yaya Wilma (face partly covered) during our monthly visit to Doc Monna.

3 comments:

  1. hi juls. remember we were talking at twitter about our new yaya? she lasted for 5 days only. hay, hagu. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog about it Devs! Naloka ako pagbasa! I even shared it to Yaya Wilma. Haaay na lang jud sa mga ganyang experiences ba. Grr...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahirap na talaga maghanap ng yaya. Lucky, you found one :)

    ReplyDelete