Friday, April 19, 2013

Going Healthy and Raw

There's something about eating that will always make someone feel better. It's human nature to feel better and of course eating is usually at the top of everyone's list.

Naturally, when D was starting to grow in front of my eyes (literally!)...the thought of him starting on solids was something quite daunting for a new mom like me. I didn't know where to start or what to feed him first...and I wasn't about to feed him the commercially-prepared food! Mum and Dad were more than happy to share their experience in feeding the three of us when we were still babies. Somehow, I was more of a special case so I took it upon myself to follow their advice.

D was about 5 months and 22 days when we started him on semi-solids (puree). I made sure to wait on D's pedia to give the green light so that I was confident to prepare the food. Doc Monna was very accommodating and was more than happy to recommend that D was ready for semi-solids. She asked if we were going to try the commercial food or do home-made, I told her home-made through and through and she was gladder since she knew that it was safer and that I was happy with my choice.

It's always been a question: What will D eat first? Easy...ground rice from Bios Dynamis! Thankfully, the local Bios Dynamis had enough stock and we got the ground red rice. Mum helped in prepping and D loved it! She made sure that it was puree-style so that D could easily swallow with a bit of chewing since it was a different texture than the usual breastmilk. We started him slow and sure with the ground red rice for three straight days.

D loving his ground red rice puree.

If there's anything that I'd like to delay with D, it's his preference for taste. Whenever he tries new fruits or veggies...he takes his time in understanding the texture and the taste. There are instances that his face changes but he hardly rejects the food. Maybe it also helps that I eat as healthily as I could so my breastmilk would taste like the food that I eat. During our Holy Week trip, he was able to try lettuce and pechay juice, carrot juice, camote tops juice and calamansi juice. He was, quite shockingly, very addicted to the green (lettuce and pechay) juice and camote tops juice. It helped with his digestive system so much that pooping wasn't even an issue during that time! I'm thinking of making our own here at home!

My parents have embraced the lifestyle of eating healthy and raw (especially my Dad!) and I am slowly coursing to that path as well. That doesn't mean that I will completely go vegetarian but I will be more careful with the choices of food that I will eat. Besides, it wouldn't be fair if I make D eat veggies and I'm gobbling on chips. It helps for me to be as fair to my son as possible.

Did we have problems with D's pooping? YES!

He's not the type of baby who poops every after he eats...he poops every other day so naturally, I wasn't too worried when he was still exclusively breastfeeding but when he started solids...I was more vigilant. Papaya is now his best friend. His anti-constipation food...

Now that D's 8 months and 23 days as of writing, he is already eating three times a day. His breakfast is always papaya to make sure that he won't get constipated and that he can manage his poop. Then his lunch and supper is ground red rice and monggo beans with a mix of steamed squash (for this week). We will then switch the squash to carrots next week.

Most common question that I hear: "Isn't it difficult and a lot of preparation?" Yes it is but it takes a certain routine and getting used to. Thankfully, Yaya Wilma has already infused in her schedule the prepping of D's food. She makes it a point to prepare enough for one day so that it's fresh.

Going healthy, whether it be raw or simply being more conscious with what to eat, is a decision that is a slow and steady process. I've made this decision because I want the best for my bubba and to make sure that he isn't exposed to the artificial taste that we are so used to. Who knows...he just might be the one who will make me go back to my roots and love veggies again!

No comments:

Post a Comment