Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Transitioning to Toddlerhood

D is turning 1 year old in 24 days, hence the countdown to his big O-N-E has begun. I'm quite excited at the commitment that I have for his birthday party but at the same time, the undeniable fact faces me...I am about to have a toddler in the house (insert sarcastic and funny remark...).

I'm quite excited with the prospect of having my very own hurricane in the house. I know that a lot of moms and dads who have had toddlers (my parents included) will always tell me ALL THE HORROR stories that they can tell me about what life is like with a toddler. Wow, thanks so much! I'm not sure if you're happy about it or you just wanna make me feel miserable. I hope it's the former but I do know where they're coming from...I just wish that it was put more delicately, like not scaring the first-time parents. Instead, supporting them and telling them the tricks of the trade of being a parent to a toddler. It doesn't hurt, right?

I remember when I gave birth to D and all my other high school batch mates were also pregnant and about to pop...I was more than happy to tell them about my birthing experience but I was also careful with my words, I wanted them to anticipate it with excitement, happiness and joy as opposed to dread and fear. Why put so much negativity into such a happy occasion? I've always believed that if you really want to support someone, you give them a nice picture but also give them warnings but without discouraging them. It's a balance but I make it a point to do it.

I'm starting to hear a lot of "horror" and "terror" stories about having a toddler in the house:

"Halaka, samok na kaayo ang balay!"
"Nah, payat jud ka ana samot ba!"
"Goodbye na lang sa mga gamit ninyo..."
"Kapuy kaayo ang bata uy...purye gaba lang..."

Hmmm...anything positive about having a toddler? Like maybe when they pick up their toys and put them in their respective boxes? Or when they try to help you with other chores? Or when they start talking and babbling as if they're in a conversation with you?

I appreciate all the stories but I wish that people, in general, would be more positive when giving stories. I know that D will be a handful and I'm already expecting that. I thank God, everyday, for Yaya Wilma as she can always carry half of the load during the day. We're already expecting the worst (not really) but we're definitely hoping for the best.

Toddlers are expected to make a mess...they're expected to be noisy and loud...they're expected to be kids and just run around and play...what else do you expect of them? They're kids...they're learning and exploring and they want to have fun.

Right now, I can see that D is slowly transitioning from a baby to a toddler and I can't help myself but wonder, how fast time flies. Last year...he was still in my tummy, kicking and punching and basically telling us he wants to see the world. And now that he's out and about, I'm sure he wants to see more.

This sure transition to toddlerhood is something that every parent will go through...this time, with us, we want it to be a memorable and positive experience for everyone. Are there going to be bumps? Oh yes, a lot of them. But in the end, it's all about D exploring how wonderful and great the world is. And yes, I will be there...every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment