Thursday, July 4, 2013

(Extended) Breastfeeding: A Habit Hard To Break

I've been breastfeeding D since Day 1 and now that he's about to turn 1 year old, there are tons of bumps that we've already crossed and tons of happy moments that we've shared. Nearly all of what I wear in public is thought of in such a way that it should be easily accessed by D's mouth so that when he cries or demands or simply wants to comfort suckle...it's ready and available right then and there. Somehow, it's become a habit of ours to just be in sync with each other's moods and feelings. I guess that's what happens when you're attached to your baby because of breastfeeding.

L, D and I co-sleep and even though a queen-sized mattress is big...looks like we need something bigger because D can sleep in half of the space. Yes, how can little babies take up A LOT OF SPACE is beyond me but we manage through it. He has yet to stop his night feedings and it's been a couple of months since I've been actively pumping for his stash during the day when I have classes or when I have to run errands. I still make it a point to pump at least twice during Saturdays and Sundays so as to keep up with the stash.

First thing that people ask me when they find out that I'm breastfeeding D, "How many teeth does he have?" I smile and answer, "He has six teeth and more coming too!"

Yes, the biggest fear of most moms who breastfeed directly is the eruption of the teeth. Actually, I noticed D's teething stages as early as 3 months but I didn't feel any "pain" or discomfort until he had actually bitten me (by accident, of course) when he was 9 months old. The biting pangs and incidents simply happen when I don't get to read his emotions and his cues...but when we're both in the moment, I can quickly tell if he's fussy or if he's already bored and that's usually the time when he feels like my nipples are made of rubber and can be pulled and tossed around and all that.

As of writing, I have wounds on both nipples...I actually clench my fists when D latches on these days only because it still stings. But the pain's manageable. Don't get me wrong, it's painful but I'm looking at it this way...I've been through labor and back and was able to go through the whole 10cm and effacement with no medical intervention, the latching and wounds are simply part of the process of breastfeeding. I am in no way going to stop because of a few winces and stings. I'm not hardcore...I just have a high tolerance for pain and I'm quite thankful for it too!

I keep on looking back to Day 1 until today and I look at L and D while they're playing...I don't think that I'd be this attuned to them if it wasn't because of breastfeeding. I was able to learn how to be patient with myself and with D (it was quite a rough start for the both of us) and I was also able to learn how to be thankful for my family as my support group.

It truly is a hard habit to break, I don't know when we will stop and I don't know how we will stop...I don't even wanna think about that because...it's not something that I'm looking forward to, though it's something that is bound to happen, hopefully not too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment