Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sticking To A Routine

When the decision was made that I would go back to my old job (a job that I truly love), we knew that we needed to transition D to a routine that we all could slowly ease into and that he can handle. Tots love and thrive with routine. Of course, he can make his own routine and God only knows it takes me a while to understand what he actually wants but as long as he's happy...we're all good.

Though my job would be in shifts, morning shift would be a priority for me since I'm still breastfeeding D and I'm also pumping in between for his stash, and also he's still young. He just turned 15 months a few days ago and I've noticed that he doesn't drink as much milk as he would from a bottle or from a cup, he would only drink if he's about to take his nap (which he would take it from a bottle) and then doze himself to sleep. Then, after my online classes...that's the time he would catch up with his feedings. I totally get it now...though I still pump for extra stash and to make sure that I won't get plugged ducts and all, the transition to feeding him has definitely been a major change in my routine.

I'm pretty lucky to have an online gig right now that simply requires me to sit and I can power pump during my classes. I can pump about 4-5oz for each afternoon that I power pump and D only consumes about 3-4oz so I still have a bit of the stash left. When I don't have classes (Korean holidays or when I am absent) then I make it a point to directly feed D coz I'm way too lazy to really pump. So weekends are really just directly feeding him and then he eats A LOT OF solids.

I haven't really thought of how my pumping routine will be in the office since we're really focused on getting D to get used to not seeing me for longer hours. He does get used to it at some point but when he sees me in the family office then all hell breaks loose because he'd demand that I spend time with him. Also, we're still trying to calm him when he wakes up at night for feeding. I have yet to introduce the bottle with him and L but we're planning to do that in November. I'll leave the cooler in our bedroom with a bottle or two and hopefully, they'll both manage to soothe and calm themselves. This is for when I have the midshift (2pm-11pm) schedule coz I'd be home by 11:30pm and be in bed by 11:45pm...that's about 10 hours gone so it'll take some getting used to for D and L given that they're both used to just having me in between them. Good luck to the boys, huh?

Not only am I getting D to a routine...I also need to get myself in a routine. I've been staying at home for almost 2 years now so that's almost 2 years of not really waking up early or prepping myself to go out (that's such too much prepping!) so I need to get myself into a quick but foolproof routine where I can still be a wife, mom and a trainer...hahaha! Good luck to me, huh?

All these talk about routines have definitely made me feel excited but at the same time anxious because gone are the days where I can actually play hooky and plan the whole day on a whim...this time around, there's a need for a schedule and there's a need for cooperation (and I mean serious cooperation) so that everyone can leave on time and not be late. Aha! Good luck to all of us, huh?

But I'm sure that we can all manage somehow, we still have two more months...I'd want to be optimistic about this...

julie

2 comments:

  1. hi jul :) so you've decided pala. at least, you have 3 months to settle in a routine :) just to share, i cried the first day i went back to work. hehehe. good luck jul. but like i said before, you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck mommy! I envy you because you breastfeed your kid up until he's 1 year plus old. I wish you still could express more milk even if there's a busy time at office. That's what made my supply slowly fading out.

    ReplyDelete