Thursday, June 6, 2013

Biting The Nipples That Feed Him

Been almost a month since my previous post but I've been very busy with the preparations for D's first birthday and I got back to online teaching this week, needless to say...it's been quite hectic.

Amidst all the "chaos" that's been happening, D is pretty much growing in front of our eyes. My parents were away for just a few days and got extended for another 24 hours due to the airport mishap (they were rerouted to Manila then GenSan and took a 3-hour bus trip back to Davao). They noticed D's sudden growth and mentioned it to me, the moms at our weekly playgroup also noticed and well...as much as I want to deny it, my little boy's growing up!

And with growing up comes those little tiny instances that really try my pain tolerance, yes...breastfeeding mothers can definitely relate to this...biting! He doesn't do it on purpose, at least I don't think so, and it doesn't happen often but when it does...WOW! I'd rather go through labor than deal with those nipple bites! Whew!

Did it seem bad? Yes, I felt like I was going to lose my nipple when I felt it. I was imagining this bloody image in my head where in the actual nipple is between his four incisors and he's smiling at me with that snarl that he always gives when he's feeding off me (too bloody?!). Then I look down and it's just red, sore and bleeding a little...I looked at D and there he was, smiling and giggling. I know he didn't do it on purpose but that was just one of those VERY RARE moments that I wish I could stop breastfeeding. I didn't stop...trust me, I wasn't going to stop just because there was a tiny wound.

The best cure was to let D latch and let his saliva heal it, true enough...it was all right. Took about a couple of week for the soreness to completely go away but I was still able to pump and express milk for him. That didn't discourage me from breastfeeding...but it did make me flinch every once in awhile whenever D would latch. Somehow, those little teeth are definitely not stopping at biting everything it can get in contact with. How do I stop him though? Well...pinching his nose definitely stops it, the "suffocation" trick doesn't really work on his as he was push me away and it's more painful. So pinching works for us...

I know that this will be just be a phase, and I'm in no way deciding to stop breastfeeding. But yet, babies do bite the nipples that feed them...mommies, trust me...they still love you no matter what and they're not doing it on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment